- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Three 14-ounce cans chicken broth
- 4 cups half-and-half
- One 10.75-ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup prepared salsa, mild or spicy
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled, drained and shredded
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained
- One 15-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- One 1.27-ounce packet fajita seasoning
- One 16-ounce bag tortilla chips
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack, grated
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and the onion and saute until softened, 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more. Add the broth and the half-and-half. Stir in the cream of chicken soup, salsa, chicken, beans, corn, cumin and fajita seasoning. Continue to simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
2. Crumble the tortilla chips into individual bowls and top with a ladle of soup. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and add a dollop of sour cream.
3. Serve & Enjoy!
Recipe Adapted From: Trisha Yearwood Southern Kitchen
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 additional minutes.
2. Add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender. Mix flour with water, add, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened. Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through. Stir in cheese, allow to melt.
3. Serve & Enjoy!
Broccoli is my favorite veggie and I will eat it any way I can get it. In a salad, in a soup or just plain ole’ by itself. Which brings me to this recipe; Broccoli Cheddar Soup. I love me some soup just like I love me some salad. So if you’re looking for a broccoli cheddar soup recipe that is flavorful, creamy, comforting and downright addictive then whip this baby up ASAP. I’m so adding this as a regular to our fall/winter lunch & dinner menu.
- 2-3 cups fresh broccoli
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white onions, finely diced (can use more)
- 1/2 cup baby carrots, finely diced *optional*
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup smoked gouda cheese
1. Place broccoli in a large bowl with about 4 tablespoons of water. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 7-10 minutes or until broccoli is steamed and tender. Chop broccoli into tiny pieces. Set aside.
2. In a medium pot, add broth, onion, carrots and garlic. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until onions are tender. Set aside.
3. Add milk and heavy cream to a bowl and microwave until warm. Set aside.
4. In a large pot or deep skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly for about 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat if flour starts to brown. Add in salt and pepper and continue to stir for 1 minute.
5. Next slowly stir in milk and heavy cream. Stir in chicken broth mixture. Stir in cheeses and add the broccoli. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
6. Serve hot in bread bowls or regular bowls & Enjoy.