Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Broccoli is my favorite veggie and I will eat it any way I can get it. In a salad, in a soup or just plain ole’ by itself. Which brings me to this recipe; Broccoli Cheddar Soup. I love me some soup just like I love me some salad. So if you’re looking for a broccoli cheddar soup recipe that is flavorful, creamy, comforting and downright addictive then whip this baby up ASAP. I’m so adding this as a regular to our fall/winter lunch & dinner menu.
- 2-3 cups fresh broccoli
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white onions, finely diced (can use more)
- 1/2 cup baby carrots, finely diced *optional*
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup smoked gouda cheese
1. Place broccoli in a large bowl with about 4 tablespoons of water. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 7-10 minutes or until broccoli is steamed and tender. Chop broccoli into tiny pieces. Set aside.
2. In a medium pot, add broth, onion, carrots and garlic. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until onions are tender. Set aside.
3. Add milk and heavy cream to a bowl and microwave until warm. Set aside.
4. In a large pot or deep skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly for about 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat if flour starts to brown. Add in salt and pepper and continue to stir for 1 minute.
5. Next slowly stir in milk and heavy cream. Stir in chicken broth mixture. Stir in cheeses and add the broccoli. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
6. Serve hot in bread bowls or regular bowls & Enjoy.