Baked Shrimp Scampi
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 large fresh rosemary sprigs, cut in half
- 3 fresh oregano sprigs
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 large lemon
- 2 lbs. extra-large shrimp (26 to 30 per lb.), preferably wild, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt to taste
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F.
2. Cut the lemon in half top to bottom (tip to tip), then take one half of ther lemon, place it on its flat (cut) surface, and slice across into thin half-moon shapes. Take the other half of the lemon, place IT on its flat side, then cut it top to tip to tip again, then across into 10-12 chunks.
3. Place the peppercorns and coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle and crush until well cracked and broken.
4. Pour the oil into a 9×13-inch baking dish. Add the herb sprigs, pepper and coriander, and the lemon chunks. Bake until the oil mixture is fragrant, about 12-15 minutes.
5. Add the shrimp to the dish and toss with tongs until coated, and top with the half-moon slices of lemon. Bake the shrimp until pink and firm, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Remove the dish from the oven, add the vinegar and kosher salt to taste, toss well, and let rest at room temperature until the oil cools slightly, about 5 minutes, before serving.
Source: Fine Cooking Magazine